Fitwel unveiled the 2023 Best in Building Health awards, its annual list of the top global real estate companies and individuals who are leading the healthy building movement by example, leveraging Fitwel’s certification platform to set the bar for excellence in building health.
Created in partnership with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and operated by the Center for Active Design (CfAD), Fitwel is a people-centric healthy building certification system that sets the industry standard for evidence-based strategies to promote health and wellbeing through the built environment. The Fitwel Platform integrates asset and portfolio-level benchmarking, a streamlined healthy building certification process, and “S” focused ESG reporting guidance. Fitwel has 1.2 billion square feet registered on the platform, impacting more than 2.6 million people.
Best in Building Health features many diverse projects worldwide – from Brazil to Boston to Australia to Belfast – underscoring the growing demand driven by tenants and investors for health-promoting strategies globally.
“The past few years have been transformational, revealing unprecedented challenges and opportunities for the world, particularly the real estate industry,” said Joanna Frank, President and CEO of CfAD. “The demand for healthy building environments has never been higher and, as this year’s Best in Building Health winners have demonstrated, by understanding this demand from the people perspective, we can increase value in the near term and mitigate risk in the future. Prioritizing health is no longer a reactive market trend – it’s an established business imperative.”
Fitwel’s 2023 Special Recognition awards feature those driving the charge for market transformation through social equity, health and wellbeing, and sustainability. It spotlights one company that has demonstrated its commitment to implementing practices that impact the “S” — Social — in ESG.
Fitwel’s 2023 Best in Building Health Special Recognition Awards
- Harrison Street || Fitwel Excellence: Most Certifications of All Time
- Harrison Street is leading the industry in certifications completed in 2022 and most certifications of any company since Fitwel’s inception in 2017, demonstrating its commitment to healthy building strategies across its portfolio.
- Nuveen || Industry Leadership: ESG Impact Through Health
- Nuveen has been recognized for leading the industry in advancing ESG through healthy buildings and prioritizing occupant health, safety, and well-being.
- Sara Neff, Lendlease America || Individual Leadership: Impact Through Social Value
- Sara Neff, Head of Sustainability at Lendlease America, has been recognized for her individual commitment to leading the industry in understanding and quantifying the value of health when it comes to ESG, and for being integral in driving the conversation around healthy buildings.
- Clarion Partners || Industry Leadership: Portfolio Benchmarking
- Clarion Partners has been recognized for its commitment to benchmarking a fund against the Fitwel Standard and using data insights for future decision-making.
- Lionstone Investments || Industry Leadership: Entity Wide Growth
- Lionstone Investments has been recognized for its commitment to implementing Fitwel at scale through the Champion program.
This year, Fitwel also launched a Top 20 Ambassadors List, a new initiative that highlights industry-leading professionals demonstrating exemplary engagement, leadership, and achievements as a Fitwel Ambassador. The honorees were selected out of nearly 4,000 professionals across 50+ countries for their success in project registrations and Fitwel certifications and the number of people impacted through those certifications.
- 2023 Ambassadors of the Year
- Most Registered Projects: Chip Andrews / Cousins Properties
- Most Certified: Scarlett White / Lord Green Strategies (now RE Tech Advisors)
Click here to read the full list of winners by Fitwel.