Share this article!

Q: After I was divorced, the court awarded our home to my ex-spouse and ordered him to refinance the mortgage to get me off of it. He has not refinanced the property several years later and pays the mortgage inconsistently, leaving my credit in shambles. What can I do to escape this nightmare? — Nona

A: There is no worse position to be in than owing money on a property that you do not own or benefit from.

Your best option will be to go back to the divorce court and ask the judge to enforce the order.

However, your ex may not be able to get a new loan due to income or credit issues.

Depending on the unique circumstances of your situation, the court may be able to order the property sold to pay off the mortgage, but this is unlikely if your ex is living in the home.